Wednesday 22 February 2012

Sign Shapes

I've had a lot of people ask me about how I come up with some of the elaborate sign shapes and borders that we design. To be honest, my favourite designs kind of created themselves. I complete the overall layout of the sign and create a basic contour around it. This is especially useful in designing older heritage style signs. Many of the small towns where I live are very strict when it comes to the signs that are allowed and the protocols that designers must adhere to. Using this method I've never had a design rejection from the various boards I've submitted to.

This is my most recent design.



All sign makers and designers should have an array of basic templates in their arsenal as well, but I rarely use them any more. For the most part I find they restrict the creative process and limit my designs. Stay creative my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment